3 must reads from the snow

Posted by Patrik Edvardsson | Posted in , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Posted on 2:02 PM


Girls front-man Christopher Owens, A Modern Day Byron, according to Fader


The days between the Christmas munchies and New Years decadence is often spent with reading. At least in my family. As I am currently covered in Snow in Sweden I am surrounding myself with words. There are newspaper piles on all the tables, except for when my mom does one of her feared cleaning sweeps and suddenly make them disappear ('I thought you had already read it', her usual explanation for suddenly trashing tonnes of words that never caught my eyes) or when my dad burns some of them while lighting the fire place. Here are two columns and one blog post you should rest your eyes on during these days if you are in need:

1. Marina Hyde's hilarious The Guardian column: 1, Beckham. 2, Murdoch. 3, Britney's ex. Will this do for my list of the noughties?

She takes on the list obsessed media and manages to both pinpoint both a sad media development and what it says about our time. It's a bit similar to the corporate world where everything that can be put into numbers automatically is seen as something of value.

2. Joshua Bearman's International Herald Trubune story My half-bakes bubble

Where he manages to describe the root of the financial crisis with a very funny story about him selling cake futures during lunch break in school. Worth a read even if you have no interest in contemporary economic policy and a must if you do have an interest in it.

3 The Fader music blog's Listmania

A must for every music nerd and, among many other great things, includes this list concerning one of Airportline's absolute favourite bands this year, Girls:

Top Five Lyrics That Prove That Christopher Owens of Girls is a Modern Day Byron, Too Earnest to Be a Modern Day Don Juan, Just a Simple Man with Regular Desires and No Need or Understanding of How to Quell, Mask or Spurn What he Truly Wants
5. Lay in the park, smoke in the dark/ Get high like I used to do/ Summertime soak up the sunshine with you
4. No, I’m never gonna fix up and i might me crazy/ But I’ve really got it goin’ on
3. I’ve got an ice cream cone, and I’m feeling fine tonight/ And when I get you back home, oh you know I’m gonna do you right, oh yeah
2. I’ve got a sad song in my sweet heart/ And all I really ever need is some love and attention
1. Let’s be the people that we want to be/ Let’s live like we could never part

Comments (0)

Post a Comment